Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default before i buy a new Natural Gas grill...

"Lena" wrote in message

Could you elaborate on why you would want natural gas over propane?
Even though I have natural gas for heating and cooking in my home, I am
not the least bit interested in running a pipe and connector through
the wall to the outside where I could plug in a special gas line to the
grille. I wouldn't want to take the risk associated with a faulty
connector. I like the ability to shut the propane bottle off
completely.

The natural gas line will also have a shutoff valve. It s cheaper to
oeratie, does not run out in the middle of cooking, does not require hauling
bottles, is safer as you don't have 20 pounds of gas sitting under the hot
grill, you don't haul 20 or 40 pounds in the trunk of your car. ,

With the propane exchange plan at our local Home Cheapo
store, it is easy to swap bottles and keep a spare on hand. I have
cooked with both natural gas (at home) and propane (in our trailer) and
for a given size flame, propane seems to be a lot hotter.

Both can have the same output.

Higher numbers, IMO, are just sales gimmicks.

Unless the overall size of the cooking area is larger and higher output is
needed. Grills come in sizes from 18" wide to 72" wide and all have burner
sized accordingly. You can always turn down a larger burner, but if too
small, it cannot be boosted if needed to sear a steak.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/