Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

Default before i buy a new Natural Gas grill...

GotBonus wrote:
Any upfront advice ...

Could you elaborate on why you would want natural gas over propane?
Even though I have natural gas for heating and cooking in my home, I am
not the least bit interested in running a pipe and connector through
the wall to the outside where I could plug in a special gas line to the
grille. I wouldn't want to take the risk associated with a faulty
connector. I like the ability to shut the propane bottle off
completely. With the propane exchange plan at our local Home Cheapo
store, it is easy to swap bottles and keep a spare on hand. I have
cooked with both natural gas (at home) and propane (in our trailer) and
for a given size flame, propane seems to be a lot hotter.

I could never bring myself to invest megabucks in a grille, and all the
burners I have used, stainless steel, cast iron, etc., eventually rust
out, especially the so called stainless that have more iron in them
than my vitamin supplements. I'd recommend cast iron, with the caveat
that you should be able to find replacement burners at a reasonable
cost. I like some of the newer grilles where the burner is completely
shielded from drippings by a piece of metal that forms a tent over the
burner. The drippings hit the metal, and the smoke from the drippings
comes back to flavor the meat.

Are you going to roast a pig or cook burgers? I think 36K BTU is
adequate for just about everything unless your grille is as long as a
football field. Higher numbers, IMO, are just sales gimmicks.

Lena