Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M.

Default Air conditioning

(GregS) wrote in
:

I remember looking through Sears catalogs and others showing whole
house air conditioning units and prices. All I see now is estimates. I
was thinking about whole air conditioning, but what a rip off when you
can buy a 25K BTU window for $500, Where a similar whole house unit
costs in the thousands. I really think I am going to buy a window unit
and connect it to my new furnace when I buy that. Seriously. And the
new laws make it even more expensive, trying to get better
efficiencies mandatory, yet you can still buy those window units.

greg

At one time you could buy the central system and install it yourself,
because the lines were pre-charged.

A window unit works best using gravity by putting it in a window in a room
upstairs and of course leaving the door open!

In my present house that is a long ranch, I run an air conditioner in a
room at one end of the house and leave the doors open, room to room. It's
surprising how well the air travels from one end to the other. Sometimes I
run an air conditioner at both ends of the house. The main idea is to dry
the air anyway. You should be carefull not to put an air conditioner BTU
rated for more than the room square feet calls for, because when the door
is closed, it will be drafty.