Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Moos

Default What do I really need to cut trim?

wrote:

Is there such a thing as a cheap nail gun? I saw an electric version
at HD for $70.

I have one of these, made by Arrow I believe. It's certainly got
its place, but this is probably not the tool you want to be using
around glass. Firstly, to get it to countersink the nails you
typically have to put a lot of pressure on it with your hands. If
you don't, it'll leave the nail heads sticking out and then you've
got to do it manually with a hammer and nail set. The other problem
with these electric nailers is they need plenty of current to drive
the nails. If you've got it on an extension cord that's either too
long or too narrow a gauge, or plugged into a circuit that's having
to supply too much power to other devices, the nailer is not going
to countersink the nails.

Since getting one of those Porter Cable compressor/nailer combo
kits, I've not used the Arrow electric nailer much. It is still
handy though for some things and that's typically when I need to
drive a few nails fast and it's not a problem to have to press the
thing hard against the work to be nailed together.