Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

Default Ripping narrow pieces from wide stock

"Tex" wrote in message
. com...

Since you say you are new to table saws, I'll offer these other two
suggestions and/or pieces of advice: (1) set the blade height to just
clear the top of the wood being cut (1/4" to 3/8" max); and (2) watch
your clothing (sleeve, etc.) to make SURE nothing can get caught in the
blade.

I was always taught to have the blade 1" above the wood you are cutting, if
your blade is just clearing the wood, then the blade is pushing back on the
piece, when the blade is higher, it is pushing down on the piece, much less
likely to result in a kickback.

Of course I am relatively new to this, so please correct me if this is
wrong.