Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Beginners tips for plastic plumbing

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:40:35 +0100, Phil Addison wrote
(in article ):

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 23:20:30 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Stuart
wrote:

I bought this one from Screwfix and unless there is a knack to it then I am
not
impressed .It is difficult to get the ratchet to enagage without fiddling
around
with the tool.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...XG2AEQCSTHZPCF
FQ?id=61583&ts=69052

There may be a knack.

I only have a cheap (£4.50 IIRC) no-name cutter but it cuts 15mm plastic
pipe fine (not tried it on larger). However, I did find that cutting
with a slight rotation around the pipe, rather than just squeezing it
made it

A) significantly less effort, and

B) eliminated a tendency to squash the pipe.

I haven't tried the more expensive varieties but looking at their
pictures I expect this technique may still be advantageous.

I think you're right, Phil.

The ratchet ones seem to have two things in addition to the greater force

- sharp blade

- good holding of the tube to prevent deformation