Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Still Damp! - How Long to Dry Out?

on 23/06/2006, TheScullster supposed :
"TMC" wrote

If I recall correctly there is a problem with deterioration of copper pipes
buried in concrete (Isn't this why copper gas pipes are clad in plastic?)
If that is the case do you have any more buried water pipes that may be
leaking?

Tony

Thanks Tony

Yes, all the ground floor piping is buried copper. I was hoping someone
might have a clever method to locate leaks and confirm if there are any.

Connecting a high resistance meter to a suspect pipe, one probe to pipe
the other to a damp area might provide some usable clues - the lower
the resistance the nearer you might be to a possible leak. I would not
rely too heavily on the outcome, but along with other clues it might be
of use.

If it uses a header tank, could you perhaps shut the ball valve supply
off and see if the level in the tank drops?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)