Posted to misc.consumers.house
Jo Ann

Default front load washers

This has actually been my experience when trying to get by using less
of a regular detergent. Cleaning is not nearly as good as it is with
the HE products. I do it occasionally to get by on the cheap, either
for things that aren't very dirty (e.g., bath towels used once) or
things I don't really care about getting spotless (e.g., towels used
for the dogs).

Jo Ann

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

I agree that suds/lather are/is not necessary for effective cleaning.
But detergent manufacturers add foaming agents to satisfy consumers'
expectation of suds/lather. Therefore if so little of a "foaming"
detergent is used that it doesn't foam, there's likely not enough of it
to overcome the hardness of the water and get whatever-it-is clean.

I agree. There's a fair amount of sophisticated chemestry involved - and not
just surfacants (water softeners). Detergent isn't just "soap" and the motion of
the washer only goes so far...