Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Hugh Prescott

Default Repairing a 4-in-1 radio receiver

wrote:
Hmmm... crystal oscillators are sensitive to shock perhaps you should try
with a another crystal. It might be helpful to you to borrough an
oscilloscope.

You mean the removable crystal that sits in the socket of both the
radio and receiver? Or is it soldered on the mainboard?

I have no way to get an oscilloscope, sadly...

I have attempted to repair several of the Blade CX 4 in 1 receivers with
poor results. Have a service facility in a hobby shop stocked with many
Tek 7000 scopes, SA's and all the other nice toys. The time / price of
replacement says trash it if it is anything beyond a crystal or poorly
soldered connector. MAP is only $49.99 in the USA

Some of the problems may be related to using lead free solder.

I suspect the receiver you have is the same design as used in the Blade CX.

I have returned all of them for warranty replacement. The replacements
are slow in arriving (I am 180 miles west of the USA importer of the
Blade CX) so shipping time is not the problem.

I am told by their repair people that the 4 in 1 receiver has a high
failure rate and that they do not try to repair them, just replace them
and trash the old one.

Hugh