Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta 22-59 vs. Dewalt DW735 planers ... which is better?

I have had the Delta for about 2 years. I am very happy with the finish
that it produces. It is easy to use and has plenty of balls for
aggressive thicknessing. It isn't perfect though. One problem that I
have (and have read that this is common), the wood feed system is VERY
finicky. If everything isn't 100% perfect, the wood will stop feeding
and you have to manually push it until it starts feeding again. You
have to keep all the metal parts on the bottom very clean and waxed
plus clean the feed rollers all the time and even then, it might just
quit feeding anyway. Adjusting the feed rollers is very difficult and
the paragraph and illustration in the manual about making the
adjustment just plain suck. I got the optional dust collector hood and
hook it up to a strong shop vac. It clogs regularly (every 5 -10
minutes of steady planing) and must be dismantled to clean (about 5
minutes work). This gets to be a drag so I usually abandon the
collector, let the chips fly and then clean it up later.

If I knew the DeWalt would produce the same finish and not have these
two pain in the ass problems, I would probaly pay the extra money for
the DeWalt. Besides, the DeWalt is cooler looking anyway.

Chuck