Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

Default AC grounding questions

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:12:16 -0700, "John" wrote:

Is neutral connected to ground at the circult breaker panel?

Only at the main service panel - not at a subpanel...
....unless a grounding rod is required, as in a separate building,
then the bonding screw is used at that subpanel.

Also, in the US, neutral grounds are sometimes legal, with major
appliances on a dedicated circuit. Or at least they were. Existing 3
wire 120-240 circuits are still allowed to remain, but new
construction requires a 4 wire connection to things like electric
ranges and clothes dryers. No more neutral grounding allowed.
I can't remember exactly when the NEC made these changes.
I think it was 1996. Correct me if I'm wrong. Existing
hookups are grandfathered, however, as long as there is no
remodel/new construction.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info