Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Land

Default RFID fob split, no more work

"lsmartino" wrote in
ups.com:

Brian ha escrito:

My small key fob to enter my building and elevator doesn't work. The
outer shell split open in two halves a while back, and yesterday the
chip and c

oil
inside fell out and was lost.

Today I found the chip and coil on the ground at work, but when I try

use
it, it does not work. It just doesn't want to activate. The thing
looks to be intact; the chip is in the middle, and there are two
small copper wires leading from the back of the chip and wrap around
the coil ring.

Is there anything I can do, or is it likely permenantly broken? I was
excited when I found the insides, since a replacement costs $75, and
no security places in town want to copy this for me (I could copy a
room mat

es,
they only activate to get in the building, not needed to egress, but
agai

n,
shops wont duplicate it for me)

Brian

This doesn´t make any sense to me. If you have legitimate rights to
enter the building, I guess the security departament can give you a
new key. No need to duplicate anything.

I agree this is the best way. Take it to security, tell them, Gee it
broke in two and now it doesn't work. I was taking good care of it, must
have been a defect or something. I'm really sorry. Can you give me a
new one, please? smile at them