Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch

Default Waxed shellac ... any advantages?

Ron Hock wrote in
:

I left a piece of dewaxed-shellacked fir outside for the month of
February a few years ago just to see what would happen. No snow, just
a lot of rain and I covered half of it with foil. The only change was
the exposed portion of the wood was darker from sunlight (what little
there was). The shellac showed no change at all from all the water.
Then I left some wine drops on it overnight, again, no effect.
Shot-glass with some vodka on the surface left an slight indentation
and a hot mug of tea will leave a ring as the heat softens the film.
Water? Ha! Wine? Ha! Distilled spirits? Clean them up before going to
bed. Hot mug? Use a coaster.

Freshly-mixed, dewaxed shellac is remarkably durable and quite
waterproof. (Ten zillion lac bugs can't be wrong...)

Ron
www.hockfinishes.com

I've used a couple of pounds of your shellac flake, several years ago when
the Woodcraft in my (almost) neighborhood carried it. Hadn't seen it
lately, though. Good stuff.

Patriarch