Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Delta 22-59 vs. Dewalt DW735 planers ... which is better?

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message . ..
Well, "better" is often a subjective term, particularly when comparing two
13" planers that both rate as "very good" ... but certainly don't rate up
there with the professional units.

Still ... Amazon has a great deal on the Delta and I'm tempted to buy it.
I was holding out for the Dewalt, mostly because it has 3 blades to
Delta's 2.

But if you can believe the users ratings on Amazon, the Delta scores
better. And for far less money, it might be the better deal.

I know that none of these planers will give you a "glass smooth" finish
like many of the user reviews claim. I understand that sanding is always
going to be needed afterwards.

Well actually the 3 blade SLOW feed planers will give you incredable
results, for a little while. Then you get a nick in a blade and you are no
better off. As you said, surface prep will be necessary from that point.

Looking at Popular Woodwoorking's reviews back in Feb. 2004, they rated
the Dewalt just a tad bit higher than the Delta. Dewalt has that extra
blade, provides 96/179 cuts/in vs. 60/90 for the Delta. The Delta pulls
less amps, which can be viewed as good or bad.

ARGHHH!!!! Anyone want to throw in their two cents of sawdust? For $150
cheaper, would you take the Delta? Or hold out for the Dewalt?

From what I understand you can run a hose from the DeWalt directly into a
trash can to collect the saw dust. That would be a nice true advantage.