Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Hock

Default Waxed shellac ... any advantages?

I left a piece of dewaxed-shellacked fir outside for the month of
February a few years ago just to see what would happen. No snow, just a
lot of rain and I covered half of it with foil. The only change was the
exposed portion of the wood was darker from sunlight (what little there
was). The shellac showed no change at all from all the water. Then I
left some wine drops on it overnight, again, no effect. Shot-glass with
some vodka on the surface left an slight indentation and a hot mug of
tea will leave a ring as the heat softens the film. Water? Ha! Wine? Ha!
Distilled spirits? Clean them up before going to bed. Hot mug? Use a
coaster.

Freshly-mixed, dewaxed shellac is remarkably durable and quite
waterproof. (Ten zillion lac bugs can't be wrong...)

Ron
www.hockfinishes.com

Larry Blanchard wrote:
Patriarch wrote:

Just the opposite. Shellac containing wax is what causes the finish
to get water rings. Wax is also soft and accelerates finish wear.

Really? I guess that I can't just believe everything I read on Usenet. ;-)

So dewaxed shellac is LESS susceptible to water rings?

Very much so. I've seen claims that freshly mixed dewaxed shellac won't even
get water rings without a lengthy exposure, but I haven't tested that
hypothesis yet.

And dewaxed is also the best at slowing the exchange of water vapor.

--
Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS www.hocktools.com