Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Default Knackered bathroom wall - suggestions for repair?

nonymouse wrote:
Plaster has cracked and lifted in places - having taken some plaster
off, the concrete behind has also come away and there is a strong
smell of damp - not good!

It's not concrete, it's plaster...just a different plaster to the surface
plaster.

So, I thought either:

1. take off all of the plaster and concrete, re-screed and plaster
again

Render and skim.

2. as above but instead of re-screeding and plastering, PVA and leave
bare bricks showing

Bare bricks? - as a feature you mean?

3. as 1, but plasterboard then paint
4. something I've not yet thought of hence the post!!

Suggestions gratefully accepted from the fountain of knowledge as I am
not a builder by trade...

Is it a 'wet' wall? - is there a shower or bath against it? - if there is
then you don't have many options...personally, if it were my house I would
hack the lot off, allow it to dry (the water has probably been getting
behind it for years), PVA, two coats of render, then tile over