Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing basement carpet

Is the glue black? I had the same problem, carpet glued to a concrete
basement floor. A commercial adhesive remover will do the job, check
out your local home improvement store.

The adhesive remover is nasty stuff though. Make sure you ventilate
very, very well. Work for 20 minutes, then take a break.

I used large scraper to get off the worst stuff, then used a cheap
brush to apply the remover. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then scrape off
with a putty knife. Do small sections at a time. Using the wire brush
is a good idea, the more you get off beforehand the less remover you
need to apply. It requires some more muscle, but it saves a ton of
braincells.

Good luck.

Mark Modrall wrote:
Hi...

I've been ripping out some old 1970's carpet from the basement. I've
found that there's some kind of glue they sprinkled down to hold the
carpet. Is there any good way to get the glue/backing grunge up from
the cement? I used a scraper to get the carpet up. Then I tried a wire
brush to get the leftover. That does a pretty good job, but you can
still see the glue lines so it's not getting it all.

My wife has been after me to ask if there's a better/more complete
solution. At the very least she wants to spray it down with bleach to
kill all the mold that was growing in there.

Thanks
-Mark