Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default Cut Joist

Abe wrote:
Look more carefully. It's just an optical illusion. What
you're seeing
behind the joist is the subfloor, not another joist.

Now that you point it out, I certainly agree. The
perspective fooled me.
Something needs to be done...

I disagree with it being sub-floor. The sub-floor is OSB.
The "joist" has a side and a bottom. You can see what
appears to be OSB in the gap on the right of the vertical
pipe. The uncut joist is probably supporting a wall behind
the toilet flange that is visible on the pipe. Sister the
cut joist to assure a solid toilet installation.

You know what, you're quite right. It also appears to be a 4X rather
than a 2X as the interrupted joist is. I'd say whoever put the pipe in
must have installed the extra joist, and oversized it just to be sure.
If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe the OP will be kind enough to give us another photo from a better
angle?

How about it towelfury?

Jeff

--