Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Default Ripping narrow pieces from wide stock

... a roller stand to the left of the table to support the width of the
cutoff until it gets small enough not to want to tip off the saw table.

I agree with almost all other the above. Good support is absolutely
necessary. Lack of support is essentially the same as trying to saw twisted
stock (see below).

I am not, however, a big fan of roller stands. I prefer a saw horse with a
waxed top. Roller stands tend to pull you work to one side or the other if
they are not perfectly aligned with your fence.... that can actually lead to
kickback. I used to have two rollers permanently attached to the back of my
saw. That worked pretty well; the alignment was fixed.

Now I have a dedicated outfeed table and one saw horse that I can position
for infeed or side support as necessary. I also use it to support the
extension table on my band saw. I just find it to be a more flexible shop
accessory.

As for kickback, I'll probably get flamed for my technique:

I stand in front of the blade.... yup that's right. From that position I can
best place positive pressure both down and to the right (against the fence)
in a position to the right of the blade. This puts my hand's "follow
through" away from the blade.

IF the TS is set up correctly, AND the reference faces (both table and
fence) of the stock are jointed true AND modest pressure is applied both
down and toward the fence, kickback is just nearly impossible.

Twisted stock and sloppy feed pressure both recipes for kickback.

-Steve