Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default 40 pin soic sockets.. Do they make them?

You are seeing fewer sockets in surface mount designs.
are you sure this 40-pin is a SOIC ??

Well I'm realtively sure that the old video card that I have has a SOIC
socket on it but the prom in the SNES game I'm trying to put in a socket may
be a TSOP instead. I don't know for sure yet becasue I don't have the game
cartridge yet. I do however have a picture from a web site.

http://johndie.jo.funpic.de/collecti...-PCB-Front.jpg

The IC labeled U1 / mask rom is the one I need to replace with some kind of
removable eprom, eeprom or anything else that would work.. (Flash Rom same
as eeprom?)

I have thought about making this simple and just solder wires from the board
to a DIP socket.

- Mike

"g. beat " @spam protected wrote in message
. ..
"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
I've got the wild idea to make my own super Nintendo game with a custom
programmed EEPROM.. The problem is that they used a 40 pin surface mount
prom which I believe is a SOIC package. Does anywhere stock a socket for
this type of chip? I've found what appears to be the correct socket on an
old cirrus logic video card, but removing it looks to be a real
challenge. Now I think about installing a new one wouldn't be the easiest
job either.. Any ideas?

- Mike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology

Assmann and Mill-Max make surface mount PLCC sockets.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...sus.dll?Filter
DigiKey parts catalog -- page 333
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T062/0333.pdf

For surface mount, you need to know the proper techniques in order to not
routine the board or components. Good soldering iron and proper sized
tip, temperature control, steady hand and some practice helps.
http://www.geocities.com/vk3em/smtguide/smtguide.htm

I would highly recommend practicing on junked audio/TV circuits or
computer motherboards for practice - (better in your parts drawer or junk
box than the local city landfill)
you might get a few expensive parts for free that way !!
http://www.geocities.com/vk3em/smtgu...-GuideV1-3.PDF

Surface mounting multi-pin components can be performed by hand --
but other approaches are possible and work well.
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encod...cle2/index.php

Seattle Robotics - Encoder (June 2000)
Have you seen my new soldering Iron?
Kenneth Maxon