Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan

Default Can a stacked dado blade be used in a compound slide miter saw?

DT wrote:
In article ,
says...
Specifically the Makita LS1214L
(
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...et&tag=LS1214L), which I am
considering. I see Freud makes a 10" set with the 1" arbor size of the
Makita.

Well, a sliding compound saw cannot the blade up and down, so there is no way
to adjust the depth of cut. You have a 10" blade on a 12" saw, so it would
always make a 1" deep cut. It would also probably be too wide to fit the shaft
unless it was set for a very narrow dado, and the blade guard may not fit back
on. A radial arm saw has a long threaded portion of the shaft specifically to
allow a dado set.

--
Dennis

Dennis-Thanks for the reply. I dl'd the manual for the Makita & one
other saw I'm looking at, the Bosch 5412L. Both outline the method of
setting cut depth by limiting how far down the saw pivots. The Bosch
manual even goes into detail on how to use the feature to cut grooves,
using a dado would I assume be the same process, simply with wider
"grooves". Using a 10" blade on a 12" saw may effect the adjustment
range though. There may be 12" dados (even MORE $$$ ;-) Alternatively,
both these saws come in 10" variations, a bit cheaper.

Dan