Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Default pump running - no obvious cause

HarryS wrote:
If your check valve is located down at the submersible pump, it's possible
that it's not preventing backflow (could be stuck open), letting pressurized
water flow back into the well as soon as the pump kicks off. You need a
pressure gauge to see what's going on, i.e., does the system pump up to
shut-off pressure and then immediately start dropping back. If the house
supply is shut off and this is happening, the check valve has a problem or
you have a hole in the pipe from the pump to the tank.

Harry

"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
My home has a well with a submersible pump. It has been running every
few minutes even though there are no faucets leaking, the toilets don't
run, etc. I just replaced the pressure switch that broke (probably
because it ran so often!). Could it be the tank (it doesn't leak) or
the check valve (the check value is down about 60' near the pump)?

The new pressure guage shows the pressure falling immediately. It
takes about 5 minutes to get back to 30#. The tank pressure was low -
20# - might not have been set correctly when installed. I pumped it up
to 28# and checked in a couple days and it held.
I'm not able to pull the pump/check valve myself so I will have to call
in the pros. I hope the line into the house is OK. It goes through
the floor of the basement and travels about 15' under sidewalk and
flower beds to the well head. I'm sure it's at least 4 feet down
because we live in MN where the frost line can go that low! Let's hope
it's the check valve. When we moved in 27 years ago there was a check
valve in the basement but it was taken out (very noisey) and a new one
placed near the submursible pump when I got a new pump about 10 years
ago.

Thanks for evryone's help!!