Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default Waxed shellac ... any advantages?

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:58:52 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

what are the advantages of leaving it in its waxed state?

Cheaper to make

More stable when stored as a liquid
Dewaxed and bleached shellacs are much fussier than straight button or
garnet.

Easier to sand. The wax acts as a lubricant, so your paper doesn't clog
so easily.

I buy most of my shellac (I use a lot) as a cheap waxy liquid grade
(Screwfix button and garnet). Only the good stuff do I buy as dewaxed or
as flake. Before using the waxy stuff I decant it by standing the
bottle for a week then gently pouring away the top 3/4 as "dewaxed". The
waxy residue I keep as sanding sealer or knotting.