Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch

Default Waxed shellac ... any advantages?

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in
:

Patriarch wrote:

snip

If there is wax in the shellac you cannot use it as an undercoat for
anything else. I would suppose the wax is when you use only the
shellac.

That's true. It's also supposed to be more durable, and more
waterproof when used in it's 'waxed' state. For floors, for example,
before the arrival of more modern coatings.

Patriarch

Just the opposite. Shellac containing wax is what causes the finish
to get water rings. Wax is also soft and accelerates finish wear.

Really? I guess that I can't just believe everything I read on Usenet. ;-)

So dewaxed shellac is LESS susceptible to water rings?

Patriarch