Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Default Ripping narrow pieces from wide stock

wrote:
I just purchased my first table saw this weekend and I'm trying to get
a better handle on how to most effectively (and safely) use it. I need
to rip some 2" wide pieces of 3/4" plywood and I'm trying to figure out
the best way to do it where I don't end up wasting a bunch of wood.
Say the plywood is 4' x 4' and I want to cut (4) 2" x 4' strips from
it. It would seem the most accurate way to do this would be to set the
rip fence (which is to the right of the blade) 2" from the blade and
then run the board with the majority of the board to the left of the
blade.

snip

As UPSCALE has suggested, cut this project down to size first.

Rip a piece about 10" wide first, then rip the 2" pieces from the 10"
piece.

If you don't have infeed and outfeed tables to support the piece, get
some help. I would NOT try to handle a 4x4 sheet with only a table saw
top to support the piece.

If you have a circular saw and a straight edge, time to use it first
as UPSCALE suggests.

Lew