Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Default Ripping narrow pieces from wide stock

wrote:
I just purchased my first table saw this weekend and I'm trying to get
a better handle on how to most effectively (and safely) use it. I
need to rip some 2" wide pieces of 3/4" plywood and I'm trying to
figure out the best way to do it where I don't end up wasting a bunch
of wood. Say the plywood is 4' x 4' and I want to cut (4) 2" x 4'
strips from it. It would seem the most accurate way to do this would
be to set the rip fence (which is to the right of the blade) 2" from
the blade and then run the board with the majority of the board to
the left of the blade. My concern is that I'm asking for kickback
with the waste side being so much larger than the piece I'm trying to
create. On the other hand, I've never heard of someone (but I'm new
so this doesn't mean much) putting the waste on the fence side.
What's the proper way to make these cuts?

Leon gave you the straight dope. In addition to what he said, there is
nothing that prevents you from initially ripping the wide piece into
narrower ones - 12", 18", 24"...whatever - then ripping the 2" pieces from
those more manageable sizes. In your case, you want 4-2" strips which = 8"
plus the kerfs.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...