Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Default Waxed shellac ... any advantages?

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
Okay, I know that shellac doesn't actually come "waxed". It has the wax
in it and you either get it in its standard form (or waxed), or you get
it "de-waxed".

I've read plenty on the virtues of de-waxing shellac. For example, if
you want to use it as a primer or conditioner, dewaxed is better.

But ... what are the advantages of leaving it in its waxed state? I
assume that there must be some advantage, or otherwise why would they
even sell it in that form?

The wax makes the shellac easier to sand. It may also have some impact
on drying time and flowability, but I've never really noticed any
significant difference.