Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Organic buildup in hot water tank

Phat Phuq wrote:
Hi,

My sister in law was complaining about reddish brown water coming out of her
hot water tank and asked me to have a look at it. I naturally assumed that
the liner had cracked and the tank was rusting. However, when I flushed the
tank, I noticed a lot of slimy, orange/red colored scum particles in the
water.

Sis indicated that she doesn't use a lot of hot water and has a 11 year old
40 gal tank which was set to high, so I'm thinking that the built up a layer
of algie and is now starting to let go. I still haven't ruled out a cracked
liner (the algie was reddish orange), but the anode looks like it's doing
it's job properly and the tank isn't leaking yet.

I've turned down the water temp and encouraged the sis to use more hot water
to help keep the buildup down, but my question is, can I use anything to
help clean out the tank? I'm thinking it needs another flushing or two, but
I'd like to get as much of the gunk out as possible.

thx

(:P(:P

If her water source is a well, GOOGLE for "Iron bacteria".
It produces a slimy sludge like that.

Jim