Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default Hanging sheetrock - horizontal or vertical

wrote:
Sheetrock / drywall butt joints are easy to take care of.

Just chamfer the edges of the two sheets coming together taking about
1/8" off the corners. When the two sheets go together the chamfered
edges will form a v-shaped groove that can be filled and smoothed out
with mud.

With proper planning, almost all butt joints will fall above/below
windows and doors leaving only very short joints and those in spots
easily hidden (under windows) or hard to spot (above doors).

Apply it yourself vertically and then hire the mudding and you are
going to hear about it from the mudder. I did. That is how I learned
why the pros do it horizontally and also how I learned to tape (by
watching him).

No need to do any chamfering, it just adds time and nuisance to the job
and a 1/8" camfer won't accomplish anything anyhow, you still need to
tape it.

Harry K