Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neighbor's Lighter fluid fumes

Abe wrote:
See right through what.

See right through their "gift" to what they were really trying to say.
Do you have some different definition of gift-giving than the rest of
the world? Most people give gifts when they're trying to make the
recipient happy. You're suggesting giving a gift in order to make the
gift *giver* happy. If it were me receiving that gift, I'd say "thank
you", close my door and tell my wife what an asshole that guy is. Then
I'd go right on doing what I always did.

What you suggested is classic passive-aggressive behavior. NOBODY
responds well to that.

What would you do if your neighbor came by and told you to stop
stinking up the place so much by grilling?

If I got along with my neighbors as the OP says he does, I'd ask what
about my grilling stinks so much and if he convinced me I was doing
something different than anybody else who grills, I'd change it. Note
that doesn't mean he *could* convince me, but if he can't convince me
by being honest then he's not going to convince me by giving me a
chimney starter as a "gift" either.

The point is there are two people involved here, the one doing the
grilling and the one who's annoyed by it. One of them is being
reasonable and one of them isn't. If these are two normal adults, they
can work out between them which one is the reasonable one - it may be
the griller, it may be the neighbor smelling it. Giving
passive-aggressive gifts is not being "neighborly", it's just being
annoying.