Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Why can refrigerators keep proper temperature ?

scott moore wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
scott moore wrote:
I have owned 5 different refrigerators, and the latest is
a top of the line 6 year old Maytag. All of them have to be
adjusted up and down with the outside temperature. On hot days,
its not cold enough, and on cold days, it freezes lettuce.
All the refrigerators I have seen do this. Isn't there a
fridge that will keep an accurate temperature using modern
electronics ?

Mine have all been rather accurate.

How are you measuring the temperature? Are the door seals in
good condition and the doors properly adjusted?

The question was phrased badly. I should have said "why can't the
refrigerator have a temperature setting, in degrees, and why
can't it keep it to within a few degrees of that?".

They could, but that would be more expensive and require some fans etc.
Different parts of your frig will be a few degrees different normally. You
can use this to your advantage and allow the butter to stay a a little
softer. If the setting showed degrees, think of all the problems they would
have when people put a thermometer in a different part and it was a few
degrees different.

The wall thermostat is capable of doing that. Refrigerators are not
(apparently).

Take a good thermometer and move it around your home. You will find
that there are cooler and warmer places. My second floor is usually several
degrees warmer than the down stare and five or more degrees difference in
different rooms different parts of the day is not unusual.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit