Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch

Default Waxed shellac ... any advantages?

LDR wrote in
:

In article ,
lid says...
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
wrote:

Okay, I know that shellac doesn't actually come "waxed". It has
the wax in it and you either get it in its standard form (or
waxed), or you get it "de-waxed".

I've read plenty on the virtues of de-waxing shellac. For example,
if you want to use it as a primer or conditioner, dewaxed is
better.

But ... what are the advantages of leaving it in its waxed state?
I assume that there must be some advantage, or otherwise why would
they even sell it in that form?

If there is wax in the shellac you cannot use it as an undercoat for
anything else. I would suppose the wax is when you use only the
shellac.

That's true. It's also supposed to be more durable, and more waterproof
when used in it's 'waxed' state. For floors, for example, before the
arrival of more modern coatings.

Patriarch