Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Ripping narrow pieces from wide stock

wrote in message
oups.com...

I just purchased my first table saw this weekend and I'm trying to get
a better handle on how to most effectively (and safely) use it. I need
to rip some 2" wide pieces of 3/4" plywood and I'm trying to figure out
the best way to do it where I don't end up wasting a bunch of wood.
Say the plywood is 4' x 4' and I want to cut (4) 2" x 4' strips from
it. It would seem the most accurate way to do this would be to set the
rip fence (which is to the right of the blade) 2" from the blade and
then run the board with the majority of the board to the left of the
blade. My concern is that I'm asking for kickback with the waste side
being so much larger than the piece I'm trying to create. On the other
hand, I've never heard of someone (but I'm new so this doesn't mean
much) putting the waste on the fence side. What's the proper way to
make these cuts?

First, a question - you say you bought a table saw... more information,
please. How big is the table? Do you have table extensions? Outfeed
table? A basic 27" table is insufficient for cutting sheet goods. You will
need support for the width of the piece that supports 2/3 of it, at a
minimum. You'll also need some sort of support at the outfeed.

Assuming you have adequate support for sheet goods, then set your rip fence
at some distance (arbitrary) greater than the desired 2". Secure a block of
wood to the fence nearest you, at the edge of the saw table, that is equal
to the "arbitrary" distance you cranked into the fence position. ie: if
you put the fence 3 inches from the blade, then secure a 1" block to the
fence. Now you can butt your stock up against the block to get a precise 2"
position relative to the blade, but your stock will not be binding against
the fence. That eliminates your kickback risk, and you can freely cut all
the way through. Your block should only be a couple of inches long. You're
not trying to run it up to the blade.

Fabricate and use a panel cutter (tons of stuff on the net about these) so
that you have adequate support for your piece along it's back side. Don't
try to simply use your miter as it came with the saw as it will not provide
enough support to keep a 4' piece from rotating. If your sheet stock
rotates you'll discover an entire world of high velocity excitement.

--

-Mike-