James P Crombie

Default Great Idea - Communal Snowblower

I just finished digging out from a foot of heavy wet snow. Basically
the same snowblower as yours. took me two hours :-) Drifts up to 4'
around the car. When it snows here in PEI, the winds are usually
60-80kph. I don't remember ever seeing the snow come straight down
here. Its usually horizontial :-) Gusts last night to 90kph

Grant Erwin wrote:

Hope you guys never have an accident with this thing and find out that one
of you isn't insured. Insurance is usually the thing that kills communal
ownership these days. - GWE

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

My neighbors on both sides and I invested in a big (26") 8 hp
snowblower a
couple of weeks ago. At $247 each, we have a brand new snowblower
that will
clear each of our driveways in 15 min flat. The nor'easter that came
through this weekend made that seem like a great investment. I was
out of
town for the storm, but came back to a cleared driveway, because my
partners
couldn't resist trying it out some more. That makes it a GREAT deal!

Here in NJ we only get a big storm once every couple of years, but it
takes
me 2-3 hours to clear the drive with the blade on my tractor when we have
more than 3-4". The snowblower is the best tool for big snows, but is
hard
to justify for the few times we need it. Sharing the cost makes it very
practical.

We looked at a Riobi and a "Yard Machines" (both 9.5 hp made by MTD) from
Costco, but settled on the 8 hp Murray from BJ's Warehouse for $799. The
engineering was much better even though the engine was a bit smaller.
Nice
unit.

James P Crombie

Summerside Machinist