Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

Default Fluorescent Lamp question

I need to get some fluorescent lamps for the garage. As I use the garage as my workshop, I want it
to be as bright as possible.

Looking at the ScrewFix site, I see that the low power factor lamps only use 38W tubes, and the high
power factor lamps use 58W tubes.

The difference in price is negligible.

Going back (longer than I care to remember) to trade school days....

A fluorescent light needs a power factor correction capacitor in order for the power used by that
lamp to register on the electricity meter.

As I understand it...
All domestic fluorescent lamps do not need a PF capacitor, but they are limited to low power tubes.
All commercial fluorescent lamps need a PF capacitor, and can use higher output tubes.

Now the question..

If I get the HPF fittings, and remove the capacitor, is there any reason why it should not work as a
low power factor fitting i.e. not register on the meter.

Rick...
Rick... (The other Rick)