Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Thorium Mantles?

unopened wrote:
raden wrote:
unopened writes
I was told that the radiation detectors at Sellafield/Windscale were
sensitive enough to trigger an alarm if somebody went past them
carrying a pack of cigarettes -

Sounds like ******** to me

Not completely, as far as I can tell. Do a bit of googleing for
cigarettes and polonium 210 for some interesting data on the radiation
dosage to the lungs from smoking cigarettes. However, as polonium-210
is an alpha emitter

Interestingly, smokers are less likely to suffer from certain
radiation damage to the lungs, as the mucous coating is thicker
in theirs, due to the reduced functionality of the cilia and
irritant effect of all the gunk inhaled.