Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Why can refrigerators keep proper temperature ?

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:55:55 -0700, scott moore
wrote:

I have owned 5 different refrigerators, and the latest is
a top of the line 6 year old Maytag. All of them have to be
adjusted up and down with the outside temperature. On hot days,
its not cold enough, and on cold days, it freezes lettuce.
All the refrigerators I have seen do this. Isn't there a
fridge that will keep an accurate temperature using modern
electronics ?

I don't really think I can add to the first three answers, but I'm
posting anyhow.

The nine refrigerators I've own or used for a year or more since I was
born 59 years ago all seemed to work ok. None have had any
electronics. I adjust the temp, and if it has a freezer to fridge
ratio control, that a bit, until the ice cream just colder than soft,
and the milk is definitely cold, and then I'm done until I move
somewhere else.

Except when I was in college, in 1969, in an apartment, that one
started freezing the lettuce and would do so even at the warmest
setting. Maybe we shoudl have told the landlord,

Boring story that won't help the OP: but my roommate found an
abandoned, we thought (still think so), fridge in the basement, and we
dragged it up one flight of stairs to our back door. Wide wood
Chicago steps. Boy, was it hard to get it up the stairs with 2 or 3
of us. Then we used that fridge for our second and last year, and we
put the broken one in the pantry, and together the 3 of us and the
girl who came over to share meals with us 5 nights a week, we bought a
quarter cow.*** Of course fridges don't have enough insulation to be
used economically as a freezer, but we didn't realize that for months.
The meat lasted 3 or 5 months or something, so we wasted a bunch of
money and electricity, but the meat never spoiled.

***That's a cow that can run very fast over a quarter mile.