Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Gas Tanks...

The tanks were very likely theirs. However the gas in them was paid
for by the previous owner and therefore yours when you purchased the
house. Tell them you want reimbursement for the gas in the tanks

Didn't we have a thread in just the last week in which the homeowner
did't own the propane in his tank? That he was billed just for what
he used. If so, even if this arrangement is uncommon, this might be
another example of the homeowner not owning the gas on his property.

If someone wants to find the thread, this was a case where the poster
wanted to know how to calculate how much was in the tank, so he could
buy it. I and a couple others told him to fill the tank, to 400 out
of a total of 500, and keep track of how much was needed to reach 400.
Then he would know how much was in there to begin with.

Depends on your location. When I need LP, they put in as much as I ask
for and bill me for that amount. Therefore the gas in the tank is
mine. I read the mentioned thread but didn't comment since my area of
the country uses a different system - a system that makes much more
sense in my opinion.
Bob