Posted to alt.home.repair
The Other Funk

Default Neighbor's Lighter fluid fumes

"Charlie S." wrote in message
news:GJHlg.1484$ia6.1213@trndny09...
Live in the city, where the houses are close, but not on top of each
other. Everyone has a small yard.

A couple times last year one of the neighbors prepared their charcoal BBQ
using what 'I thought' was an excessive amount of lighter fluid. I say,
'I thought', only because the fumes from the pre-light were quite
powerful. Didn't say anything about it and at this point I'm not sure who
the culprit is. However, it started up again today and I'm not in the
mood to put up with it for another summer.

Outside of lighting my neighbor's house on fire, which approach might be
best.
1. Tell him/her to stop it all together as it poses a heath risk and is
quite annoying? If he refuses call the fire department.
2. Ask how much fluid he is using. If his response seems excessive, then
tell him to cut back. Again, if the odors seem excessive, then call the
fire or health department.

I get the feeling he's using about a quarter of a can. I'm only judging
by the strength of the fumes.

I can just imagine what his food tastes like. If it is the lighter fluid and
not a tiki torch, why don't you make him a present of a bag of Kingsford
Match Light. It might help.
Bob