Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Whole House fan

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 1700 sq. foot house without A/C, I installed (2)whirly-bird
ventilators last year, I counted 12 -- 4 X16 soffit vents. My house
has many ceiling fans but it does warm up in the afternoon if the
outside temp. reaches 80F and above, my attic temp. reaches about
110-120F on those warm/hot days. Would a power attic fan (roof
mounted) be better or a whole house fan work with my current vents??
Home is in Southern California, warm 80F-90F days and 65-75F nights....
Thanks.

Ideal is both.

If you have no AC, go with the whole house fan. The advantage is that it
will draw in cooler air from outside and push the hot air out of the attic.
The disadvantage is that on a very hot day, it will draw in the hot outside
air and replace what may be cooler inside. That is when the power vent in
the attic is best.

If you do add AC, you don't want to use a while house fan at the same time.