Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein

Default leaked floecent ballast cleanup

In article , No wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
No wrote:
Hello - I have a leaking ballast from an 8' 96T12 fluorescent fixture.
Its an old fixture and an old ballast. 99% sure its not the PCB type.
PCB leaks are more viscous than the tar leak I have (From what I have
read) So lets not go down the PCB rat hole.

The tar dripped out over about a day or so with out being noticed. The
tar dripped onto a concrete garage floor. I would like to clean it up.
What I have tried so far with almost no success.

Dawn
Cascade
Texas Magic
OxyClean
WD-40
Denatured alcohol
Regular unleaded gasoline
K1 Kerosene

All of these were tried with a stainless steel bristled brush. Probably
best was the gas and kero but I still have not made a noticeable dent.

Any suggestions?

If the ballast is not specifically labeled "No PCBs" that it in all
probability contains PCBs. The "No PCBs" labeling has been required by
law in the US since PCBs were banned. The EPA web site should have the
appropriate references for the labeling laws.

Pete C.

The label has come off this ballast. Also, before PCBs were know to be
an issue (1970s) no ballast was marked either way (Why would they?).
Also, the PCBs were mostly used in high output type fixtures, these are
not that. PCBs were in the more expensive fixtures, these were certainly
not those. PCBs look like a clear or light colored oil when leaking.
Mine is leaking a dark black tar.

So - Lets get back out the rat hole. It is very unlikely that PCBs are
involved here.

Leakage unlikely involves PCBs (leakage is probably merely "transformer
tar") but the ballast carcass likely has a capacitor that may be a PCB one
or a non-PCB one.
The issue becomes that of disposal of the ballast carcass rather than
of cleanup of the tar drippage.

Any suggestions on cleaning the tar?

Lighter fluid, kerosene, diesel fuel, #2 fuel oil and paper towels.

Keep in mind that lighter fluid is flammable at most "room temperatures"
while kerosene is supposed to not be flammable but merely combustible
unless the liquid temperature is at least 100 degrees F. Diesel fuel and
#2 fuel oil are a step up, probably not being spark-ignitable nor having
vapors of flammable concentration unless the vapors come from liquid of
surface temperature probably at least 110 degrees F. (Exception - when
sprayed into a fine spray - flammable then!)

- Don Klipstein )