Bob Chilcoat

Default Great Idea - Communal Snowblower

My neighbors on both sides and I invested in a big (26") 8 hp snowblower a
couple of weeks ago. At $247 each, we have a brand new snowblower that will
clear each of our driveways in 15 min flat. The nor'easter that came
through this weekend made that seem like a great investment. I was out of
town for the storm, but came back to a cleared driveway, because my partners
couldn't resist trying it out some more. That makes it a GREAT deal!

Here in NJ we only get a big storm once every couple of years, but it takes
me 2-3 hours to clear the drive with the blade on my tractor when we have
more than 3-4". The snowblower is the best tool for big snows, but is hard
to justify for the few times we need it. Sharing the cost makes it very
practical.

We looked at a Riobi and a "Yard Machines" (both 9.5 hp made by MTD) from
Costco, but settled on the 8 hp Murray from BJ's Warehouse for $799. The
engineering was much better even though the engine was a bit smaller. Nice
unit.