Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein

Default leaked floecent ballast cleanup

In article , Pete C. wrote:
No wrote:

Hello - I have a leaking ballast from an 8' 96T12 fluorescent fixture.
Its an old fixture and an old ballast. 99% sure its not the PCB type.
PCB leaks are more viscous than the tar leak I have (From what I have
read) So lets not go down the PCB rat hole.

The tar dripped out over about a day or so with out being noticed. The
tar dripped onto a concrete garage floor. I would like to clean it up.
What I have tried so far with almost no success.

Dawn
Cascade
Texas Magic
OxyClean
WD-40
Denatured alcohol
Regular unleaded gasoline
K1 Kerosene

All of these were tried with a stainless steel bristled brush. Probably
best was the gas and kero but I still have not made a noticeable dent.

Any suggestions?

If the ballast is not specifically labeled "No PCBs" that it in all
probability contains PCBs. The "No PCBs" labeling has been required by
law in the US since PCBs were banned. The EPA web site should have the
appropriate references for the labeling laws.

Pete C.

If the ballast states "NO PCBs" then I would just dump it into the
trash.

Otherwise I would "store" it into the most remote / darkest corner or
other spot in my basement until I catch onto some municipal campaign for
catching "hazardous waste" from "homemakers" (my words alone for
everything in this paragraph within quotation marks).
Should you notice lack of any such campaigns by your municipality but
notice such by a neighboring municipality, go there - maybe preferably by
bike or foot!
Beyond that, .015-.02 cubic foot of undisposable croaked fluorescent
lamp ballast I see not being a serious waste of basement space nor any
significant health hazard. Put it in a 1 quart chinese food takeout place
"cup" if it continues to leak at room temperature - a mere 1/20 of a cubic
foot plus any slightly more if the ballast has a length more than about 6
inches!

As for cleanup of tar splatter - I would suggest lighter fluid or better
still (by normally not being spark ignitable and normally not having
vapors of flammable concentration at or below 100 degrees F liquid
temperature) kerosene or diesel oil or #2 fuel oil, with diesel and #2
at least usually non-flammable to at least 110 F liquid temperature.

- Don Klipstein )