Posted to alt.home.repair
A. Pismo Clam

Default Garage Door Adjustment Help!

Hello All!

We bought our 16' Wayne Dalton "Thermoguard" garage door about 4 years
ago and have been very happy with its performance so far. It has a
"Liftmaster" 1/2 horsepower opener.

About a month ago it began to make a lot of racket when it was closing
[from the fully opened position]. When it opens, it's quite; it's just
when we close the door that it seems to make noise. The wheels shake
[slide left and right in their metal guide tracks] a little but are not
broken; it's like the wheels are banging on the side rails somewhere, I
just can't see it, maybe! The opener has a "screw-type" rod which works
fine, so it is not the problem either.

No amount of lithium grease/WD-40/silicone spray is going to remedy this.

I've called the installer; they want $150 for a house call to do the
adjustment.

We're seniors and have some discretionary funds, but if I can make the
adjustment[s] myself, [with your help!] I'd rather do it. Can you help us?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond! :-)

Norm & Loretta