Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Pioneer CT-540 tape deck - no playback on right channel

"Tim Phipps" wrote in message
I have already fixed the mechanical problem with this deck (idler tyre) now
it plays, fast forwards and rewinds ok but there is no audio output on the
right channel. Also nothing registers on the right channel bargraph
display.

I have followed the general troubleshooting for tape decks in the FAQ;
when I touch the terminal (white wire) from the left head output I hear a
buzz but when I do the same with the corresponding terminal for the right
channel I hear nothing. This leads me to believe that the problem is in
the electronics rather than a defective tape head. Does anyone have any
suggestions for common failures on this deck or perhaps a schematic
diagram?

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email

It's common on all tape decks for the wires from the heads, to break, often
inside the plastic sleeving. Give each a gentle tug to make sure that this
isn't the case. The other very common thing for no playback on one channel,
is the record / playback switch going bad, particularly if you don't record
often. As a first move, locate the switch, and give it a vigourous scrub
back and forth. If that produces a fix, squirt a little switch cleaner /
lubricant in there, and repeat the scrubbing.

Arfa