Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch

Default Can you buy 1/2" boards or do I need a bandsaw?

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
wrote in :

Well, the woods available to me locally do come in 1 1/2, 2" or
thicker.

If I did have a reasonable bandsaw with a riser block, could it resaw
a 10" or 12" piece with decent accuracy?

Jack

Let's be honest here. Leon's new, $2500+ European bandsaw, properly tuned,
will do this just fine, no problem. A made-in-Asia saw, at $600 or less, out
the door, may have some challenges.

How many boxes do you want to save money making? ;-)

There are a lot of us looking for an excuse to purchase new-to-us tooling.
If you're one of us, then warm up the truck, and start looking about. But if
you want to save $200 on hardwood, there may be better ways to approach the
problem.

If you want our support in buying a new saw, you've got it! The Visa bill
comes with your name on it, however.

Patriarch,
former owner of a good Jet 16" bandsaw, and user of a Ridgid thickness
planer...