Posted to alt.home.repair
Philip Lewis

Default Smell of rat urine in attic

"BobK207" writes:
Dan_Musicant wrote:
The water on the lath and plaster has apparently reactivated
impregnated rat urine.

I would try to kill / neutralize the smell rather than covering it up.
That being said my initial try would be a bleach water mix about 1
pint to a gallon.

One thing to think about, is that bleach can react with ammonia to
make a poisonous gas:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ammonia+bleach+reaction

We've used odo-ban to remove bad odors. It also kills mold, mildew,
viruses, etc. it's a little perfumey, but fades with time.

Be careful, and use lots of ventilation.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip