Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant

Default Smell of rat urine in attic

On 20 Jun 2006 10:25:47 -0700, "BobK207" wrote:

an-
:
:I would try to kill / neutralize the smell rather than covering it up.
: That being said my initial try would be a bleach water mix about 1
int to a gallon. I have used this with success before but sometimes
:requires repeat apllications.
:
:I did a qucik search & found a
:
:http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...ed_Lumber.html
:
:to save everyone time, suggestions of bleach & vnegar (& the typical
:"you'll never get it out) the last post on the page was from a guy who
:rehabs homes & he uses
:
:OdorXit Concentrate.
:
:http://www.odorxit.com/Gen.htm?gclid...FRr7SAodQyiEKA
:
:
:I've never heard of or used the stuff.
:
:If possible I would try to mount a couple cheapo box fans (in the attic
:blowing outward) right up against the gable vents. Open the attic
:access & you'll get god ventilation of the attic. It will help dry the
:attic quicker
:
:cheers
:Bob
Thanks, Bob. Good idea about the fans, but I caught one little piece of
luck in this "disaster," and that was the weather. It's been less than
24 hours and things in the attic seem virtually dry. I'll leave the
honkin' 20" box fan running until I go to bed tonight, though, just for
good measure. I don't want to hear it again overnight, and I hope (and
think) the smell won't be noticeable by then (in my bedroom, anyway).

I think that smell must have been in the attic all this time but pouring
water in there REALLY brought it out in a BIG WAY!

I went to those links you have above and read them. Will see how things
seem by this weekend, and maybe do some stuff to deodorize the attic if
at all feasible if it seems to be an issue. I think it is but don't know
how practical it is to try to do anything about it. The attic is really
big (~20' x 40') and a lot of it is difficult to access where the
headroom gets to be less than a foot (near the walls). If it's just a
matter of deordorizing the portion that got wet, that IS doable.

Dan