Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

Default Can you buy 1/2" boards or do I need a bandsaw?

Understood. Any decent hardwood supplier should be able to provide
them. I've gone through entire stacks of boards at 'home improvement
centers' and not found one that was straight or flat. Then if I found
one after a few days at home it was warped.

PS have you thought of veneered baltic birch plywood? Stronger and more
stable. You just need to attach a bit if real wood to hide the edges

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't really looking at 1/4" for a large box, but rather for
the sleeves in a magazine holder for the bathroom. Using 1/2" for the
sleeves would be fine, but I'd still need the overall width of the
holder (and sleeves) to be about 12".

The sleeves for my current project would need 12"x12" boards (overlapped
and slanted with 8" deep stops). I could use 3" wide boards, which I
can of course easily get in most any thickness I want, and join them.

I was just wondering how easy it would be to get my hands on 12" wide so
that I could cut it to a nice length without having to do any joining as
such.

But of course ... it WOULD be a decent excuse to get a bandsaw and a
planer!

Jack

Leuf wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:19:46 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Heh ... I suppose this is a loaded question. I'm putting down designs
for a variety of projects; boxes, a magazine holder, etc.

I can easily get 1/2" and 3/4" thick boards that are up to 4" or 6"
wide, but boards that are 12" wide usually only come in 1" or more
thickness.

Making a jewelry box out of 1" thick wood isn't quite what I want.
So, what I need is a way of getting nice wood (maple, oak, cherry,
etc.) that is upwards to 12" wide and only 1/2" or 3/4" thick. And
in some cases, it would be nice to get it even thinner, like 3/8".

So ... the loaded question ... can I buy this stuff, or do I need to
buy a good bandsaw and a good planer to cut these from larger boards?

In my experience a 12" wide board that is thinner than 1/2" or even
3/4" is going to cup like crazy, especially if you are buying from
somewhere online and having it shipped in from another area. I'd glue
it up from narrower boards.

-Leuf