Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default Can you buy 1/2" boards or do I need a bandsaw?

Well, the woods available to me locally do come in 1 1/2, 2" or thicker.

If I did have a reasonable bandsaw with a riser block, could it resaw a
10" or 12" piece with decent accuracy?

Jack

Paul Franklin wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:19:46 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Heh ... I suppose this is a loaded question. I'm putting down designs
for a variety of projects; boxes, a magazine holder, etc.

I can easily get 1/2" and 3/4" thick boards that are up to 4" or 6"
wide, but boards that are 12" wide usually only come in 1" or more
thickness.

Making a jewelry box out of 1" thick wood isn't quite what I want. So,
what I need is a way of getting nice wood (maple, oak, cherry, etc.)
that is upwards to 12" wide and only 1/2" or 3/4" thick. And in some
cases, it would be nice to get it even thinner, like 3/8".

So ... the loaded question ... can I buy this stuff, or do I need to buy
a good bandsaw and a good planer to cut these from larger boards?

Jack

You need a bandsaw, and a planer, and a....

Now what was the question? :-)

Me, I'd glue up narrower stock. For one thing, you need quite a
bandsaw to resaw 12" stock, or at least a riser block. And planing
down 12 wide 1" stock to 1/2 inch always seems like such a waste..

Paul